Summer Fun in Montana…

Hey there!  I hope this post finds you and your loved ones well.  I was recently reminded of the somewhat embarrasing level of delinquency I’ve exhibited by not updating this website.  Since the last post I’ve implemented some major life upgrades, not the least of which was a temporary move back to Missoula, Montana to work as a teaching assistant at Rocky Mountain School of Photography.

I suppose I should step back and mention that late last year I accepted an offer to assist at the school during the 2011 Career Training Program running from June through October with this being the 23rd anniversary of the program.  The list of reasons in the pro-column for returning was lengthy.  Near the top of that list was another opportunity to photograph the incredible landscape of Montana which I’m sad to say continues to defy my attempts to record it in camera as I see it with my eyes.  Also prominent on the list was the chance to spend another summer around a group of creative individuals with a wide-variety of life experience.  The students were extremely varied when I attended RMSP in 2009 and they appear just as diverse this year.  Today marks the beginning the fourth week of Summer Intensive and the pace is quickly picking up in proportion with the complexity.  It’s really satisfying to help a group of individuals push themselves in a lot of ways and to see them produce a level of visual art that is already very impressive.

As for my photography, I am missing the ocean quite a bit.  Despite that lament, I do intend to enter and photograph some of the cold and clear water while we’re here.  However, today I hiked with a friend up to a sub-alpine lake that was still largely frozen.  Naturally, after seeing that I think I’ll wait another week or so before venturing into the local waters.  I’ll keep you updated on that front.  Until then, I thought I’d put up a slideshow of images I’ve made since leaving Florida in early May.  I hope you enjoy and continue having a great summer.  Until next time, take care.

Jimmy

24 Responses to “Summer Fun in Montana…”

1. Kate Cooper says:

Your slide show brings it all back, and tales of hiking etc remind me of the photographic opps in Montana, thanks for posting the update…. although as I’m reading this quite late you’re probably due another update by now 🙂

2. jen ingram says:

awesome.

3. SACS says:

Jimmy!!! Looks like you’re having an amazing time. Thank you for posting your beautiful images!!! Keep up the awesome work! Oh and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the wine glass image! LOVE IT!!!!

4. Susan says:

Very nice, Jimmy. I think you’re forgiven for being delinquent in posting photos.
    I’m guessing you’ve been just a little busy!

5. preston says:

thanks, Jimmy. I enjoyed these a lot. my untrained eye is consistently amazed by your work. the joy of Montana shines through.

6. Nanette says:

You didn’t mention fly fishing as one of your reasons for returning to Montana! What’s up with that? 🙂

The b&w photos are spectacular, Jimmy, and I love the star trails shot! I just read na article on how to shoot star trails and would like to try it.

• Jimmy White says:

Thanks for looking in Nanette. I went with a friend to try flyfishing on a lake this weekend. Unfortunately, the lake was still frozen! That created a bit of a problem:)

7. Becca Bromark says:

Hi Jimmy,
    Thanks for sharing these beautiful photographs. Reminds me of several cross country trips through that gorgeous part of the world. Enjoy your time there!

8. Kerry Baker says:

Terrific pics Jimmy!! What gorgeous country out there!!!

9. Mel says:

Hey, I recognize some of those places! Very nice, Jimmy. You’re eye has improved considerably in the past two years. I’m sure you’re feeling more comfortable about getting what you want in an image as well. Good to hear you’re enjoying the experience.

10. Mindy says:

Hey Jimmy! Loving the black and white images on here – I dont think I’ve seen you post many of those before…

11. Pam says:

Extremely Awesome Pictures Jimmy :-)Thanks for taking us all w/u on your journey w/ur photos.

12. Mike Reems says:

Those photos “sure is pretty”. Glad to hear you’re enjoying it. I know what you’ll find under that water…a “slob” of a trout, as our guide Russ called them. Ah, sweet nostalgia. Enjoy it, man. Thanks for the photos.

13. chad says:

Jimmy, so glad you’re having what appears to be an amazing time up there…can’t wait to see what’s in the water up there 🙂